DIY: Distressed {Antiquey} Dresser

So, with these DIY projects there is always the hard way or the I-don’t-have-time-for-all-those-details way.

I usually choose the latter. I am the last born, I don’t really care if it’s practical, I just care if it looks good.

{Hubby: please sigh and don’t judge, love ya}

So this is my latest project for my little’s nursery.

It is taking me some time to finish the nursery but here’s one little step in that direction.

Here she is before her makeover.

Here’s what you need:

1. Stain and polyurethane in one (semi-gloss finish)

2. Paint of your choice

I used a beige from Sherwin Williams

I choose my stain in ebony. I wanted a black top.

3. A handheld sander (no experience needed;) just be prepared for a little kick;)

Remove all drawers.

I didn’t include photos of us painting (the help {my mom} and I)

but we used “sloppy” strokes and followed the grain of the wood, that makes a difference.

We allowed some of the wood to show through when we were finished, not too much though.

Next apply your stain to the painted wood.

Strokes don’t have to be perfect.

If you don’t like it dark you can always wipe some away or apply more for a darker tint.

I allowed some white to show through.

The sander was used to “distress” the edges of the drawers and the top of the dresser.

For the aged look on all of the other corners of the dresser I used a rag dipped in a wax sealer with some residual stain left over.

I had to include these.

As we were painting and staining we were being attacked my butterflies. Seriously, these creatures could not get enough of the stain. We tried to shush them away, but they wouldn’t leave. They kept coming to drink the stain. We were sad. But are efforts were futile in trying to get them away from drinking up. Then they would do this weird little drunken dance. So, lesson: staining outside or in is not good for the environment:(

On a lighter note:

I searched high and low for the perfect knobs. I went to Hobby Lobby a dozen {2 } times and bought and returned several fine pieces but none were good enough for this little beauty so I just decided to first paint them white (they were brass before) with my finger and then I finger painted over the white in careless but gentle strokes of black acrylic paint.

The last and very important step is to apply a Wax Sealer after the paint and stain has dried. It coats the paint so it won’t chip.

Tip: The rag leftover from staining and dipped in wax gave my dresser a nice grayish, antiquey glaze.

Happy Fun Friday Y’all!!

Advertisements